A much needed twist to a seasoned classic, introducing the salt and pepper fried tofu special, with peppers, red onion, MAHI Tamarind & Mango glaze, with mixed vegetables; spring onions, chillis, carrots and sesame seeds.
1x Tsp Salt
1x Tsp Caster Sugar
1x Tsp Onion Powder
1x Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2x Tsp Chilli Flakes
1/2x Tsp 5 Spice
1x Green Chilli
1x Red And Green Pepper
1x White Onion
2x Garlic Cloves
2 Blocks Firm Tofu (diced Into 1 inch cubes)
150ml MAHI Tamarind & Mango Sauce
100ml Orange Juice
1x Red Chilli
3x Individual Spring Onions
Pinch Of Sesame Seeds
1. Veg Base & Mix: Finely slice the green chilli, White onion, red and green pepper. Finley chop the garlic. Then add to a wok with a little bit of oil on a medium heat. Saute these off for 5 minutes, then add all your spices and fry off for 2 extra minutes. Take the pan off the heat and leave on the side.
2. Tofu: You can buy pre fried tofu already from any asian supermarket, or you can fry it yourself. To fry yourself, you wanna drain the water out of the tofu packet. Then press your tofu to get rid of an excess water thats in the tofu, you dont need a tofu press to do this. You can either place your tofu in between 2 chopping boards and wrap with cling film and leave to drain for an hour. Or you can place a tea towel on top then put something heavy on top of the tofu and leave for an hour. Once youve let the water drain from the tofu, chop it up into 1 inch cubes. Then Place them in the fryer, youll see them slowly change colour. Once theyre a nice golden brown lift from fryer and let the oil drain from them.
3. Glaze: Place a medium size saucepan onto a medium heat, then add your sugar and orange juice. Stir this until all the grains of sugar have gone, then add your Tamarind & Mango sauce. Turn the heat down to a low heat and reduce for 15 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes so catch on the bottom of the pan. This will looks like a nice shiny glaze, once it looks nice and sticky take off heat.
4. Garnish: This it totally optional. For the garnish you will need to finely slice the red chilli, spring onion and carrot. Then add into a mixing bowl with ice and water. What this will do is shock the veg and curl it up to make a really nice garnish to finish any dish off. leave in the water for about 15 mins then drain.
5. Bringing the Dish Together: Grab the pan with all your sautéed veg in and place on a medium heat. add your tofu and stir constantly for 2 minutes ( wok would be amazing for this ) then add your glaze and stir for another 2 minutes. Place into a bowl add your veg garnish and some sesame seeds.