Once you go jack you never go back…well maybe you will, but these faux jerk chicken wraps will definitely have your most carnivorous friends questioning their meat-eating ways. The first thing you need to know about jackfruit is that it’s no ordinary fruit. As the largest tree fruit in the world, it’s pretty gigantic and if you find one in its prime, you’ll need some help hauling this bad boy back home. At first glance, this exotic fruit looks like some form of dragon egg that will please the most devoted GOT fans. Its spikey green skin and the sheer size makes it hard to go unnoticed. In case you were wondering where you might stumble upon this spectacular fruit, one stroll down your local high street’s fruit & veg markets will lead you to a whole bucket’s worth of them. Their distinctive texture and sweetness lends itself to be the ultimate pulled pork alternative, which brings us to our recipe of the day: Spicy jackfruit wraps. Grab some friends, veggies and meat-eaters alike and give them a go, we bet you’ll be in for a delicious surprise!
JAMAICAN JACKFRUIT JERK WRAPS
- •1/2 cup chopped onion,
- •1 pot yogurt
- •1 cup of jack fruit chopped and shredded
- •1 cup of rocket
- •Mahi Peri Peri Hot Sauce
- •Mahi Tamarind & Mango Sauce
- •1 red bell pepper
- •1 bunch of Spring onions
- •1 Pack of mini soft tacos
- •Salt & pepper to season
- •Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Chop & slice spring onions and red bell pepper into small slices, set aside.
- Chop jackfruit and shred with fork to give pulled pork like texture and mix in the Peri Peri Hot Sauce & Tamarind & Mango Sauce, set aside.
- Heat a pan with olive oil and fry bell peppers until tender, set aside.
- Heat the same pan with a splash more olive oil and heat the jackfruit mixture.
- Take the soft tacos and pop them in the oven for 3-4 mins on high to warm
- Begin building your wrap starting with the jackfruit. Layer on the bell peppers, rocket and spring onions.
- Add a dollop of yogurt and a dash more Mahi to finish & enjoy! Social caption: The secret to being veggie, without giving up all your favorite feasts requires only two things: Mahi hot sauce & our spikey friend jack! #SaucyMahi #getinmybelly #goveggieorgorhome #jackhasyourback