There’s a reason shepherd’s pie is a pub staple. Layers of hearty mince topped off with creamy mashed potatoes and left to crisp in the oven…mmm, just the thought of it is making our mouths water.
It’s the perfect crowd-pleasing dish that even the pickiest of eaters can’t help but love. The best thing is, it’s pretty simple to whip up for a weeknight dinner and tastes even more delicious the next day for lunch.
Today, we’re being a little cheeky and putting our own spicy twist on this classic British dish. What if we were to add a delicious kick to the saucy meaty layer of pie where every bite delivers a spicy satisfying punch to take this scrumptious comfort food to the next level.
After days in the kitchen experimenting with dollops & dashes of Mahi sauces and many trial & error recipes, we’ve finally nailed it! We’d like to introduce you to our very own spicetacular version of shepherd’s pie! We can’t wait for you to try it!
SHEPARDS PIE RECIPIE
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves -minced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 dollop of Mahi Cayenne & Mint Sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup frozen mixed peas, corn & carrots
- 4 Potatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. of milk
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- For the sauce, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add some oil and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the meat and continue to stir until it cooks through. Add the herbs, Worcestershire sauce, Mahi sauce, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Add in the tomato paste & flour, continue to stir until all clumps are gone.
- Add the vegetables, beef broth, cotinine to stir, let simmer for 5 mins and then set aside.
- For the potatoes, cook them in boiling water with salt until soft.
- Drain and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Mix in butter, milk, garlic powder and season with salt and pepper.
- In a casserole dish spread the meat across the bottom. Finally spread the mashed potatoes across the top and run your fork across the top to create creases. Bake in a 200-degree C/gas mark 6 oven for around 30 minutes until the top is brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
If you love Shepard’s pie now, you’ll be craving it on the reg with our spicy Mahi twist! #SaucyMahi #classicbritishgrub #potatoesarelife