One of Brock’s favourite meals is a burger!
These homemade burgers are ideal for BBQ’s, simply marinade the chicken before hand and then they’re ready to go! That classic BBQ charred texture gives it that extra flavour! Or they’re great for a weekend meal when you’re having friends over. The spicy chicken pairs amazingly with the tangly apple slaw, perfectly refreshing to cool it down.
In an idea world you’d want to marinate the chicken for a couple of hours, or even longer but if you don’t have the time, even 30 minutes will give you a tasty result! To marinade the chicken we use Mahi’s Peri Peri Garlic sauce to treat your taste buds to a sensational burst of delicious South African zest! For the spicy dipping sauce we used a combo of mayo with Mahi’s Carolina Reaper & Pineapple hot sauce, which isn’t for the faint-hearted! Made with record-breaking hot Carolina Reaper chillis, this sauce will ignite every tastebud you have! It’s the perfect dipping sauce for the crispy seasoned wedges.
This recipe is for 4 people!
- For the burgers
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 burger buns
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp MAHI Peri Peri Garlic sauce
- 1 tomato
- Iceberg lettuce
For the apple slaw
- 1 apple (we like using Pink Ladies)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 red onion
- 1 small carrot
For the chunky wedges
- 4 potatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
For the spicy dip
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp Mahi Carolina Reaper & Pineapple hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Marinade the chicken in a bowl with the Peri Peri Garlic sauce. Pop the bowl in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil. Wash the potatoes, then cut them in half lengthways, then cut each half in half lengthways again, and then cut each half in half again until you have 8 wedges (make sure they’re roughly the same thickness). Lay the potatoes on the tray.
- In a bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, spices and salt and pepper. Mix well and pour over the potatoes. Toss the potatoes to coat evenly.
- Slide the tray into the oven and cook for 35 minutes, turning them half way.
- To make the spicy dipping sauce for the wedges add together the mayo with the Mahi hot sauce and top with some chopped parsley.
- Get the burger buns ready by slicing them, adding butter if wanted. Add a slice of tomato and lettuce.
- To make the apple slaw, grate the carrot, dice the red onion and cut the apple into small chip like shapes. Add these together and coat in the mayo, lemon juice, mustard and honey. Mix together well.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge, add the coconut oil to the pan and place the chicken in for roughly 15 minutes or until cooked. Turn occasionally.
- Take the chicken off the heat and take the wedges out the oven. Sprinkle parsley oven the wedges. Place the chicken in the burgers and plate up with the slaw and chunky wedges!